Here is the latest cave and karst information from NCKRI and our friends. This announcement is shorter than usual because of the urgency of the first item:
- Sinkhole Conference: Registration is Open Again and Schedules and Scholars Posted
- Karst Session at 45th International Association of Hydrogeologists Congress
- List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
Please contact the people and organizations listed below for more information, and feel free to share this message with anyone who may be interested.
Sinkhole Conference: Registration is Open Again and Schedules and Scholars Posted…
Last week we announced that registration had closed for The Multidisciplinary Conference on Sinkholes and the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst (aka “The Sinkhole Conference”) due to security needs at the conference venue, the National Conservation Training Center (NCTC) in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. However, we have arranged to keep registration open through the conference, but with the following important consideration. At least one day before arriving at NCTC you must be registered AND receive confirmation of your registration from NCKRI. This assures that your name will be on the conference registration list that NCTC security will have at the gate. If your name is not on that list, you will not be allowed in the facility. Register as early as you can at http://www.sinkholeconference.com/registration-form.
For anyone attending and planning to attend, the Schedule-at-a-Glance and detailed schedule with the list of all papers and activities are now posted on the website. The direct address is http://www.sinkholeconference.com/program.
Also, this year’s conference will host a record number of six students attending through the Barry Beck Scholarship. To learn about these excellent students visit http://www.sinkholeconference.com/2018-beck-student-scholars-0. One scholarship is funded directly by the Sinkhole Conference while the rest are funded through the conference’s silent auction, T-shirt and hat sales, and especially by donations. Please donate to support students to attend the following Sinkhole Conference by going to https://support.nckri.org/beckscholarship. The students will gain great professional experience and connections by attending, and your donations are tax deductible.
The Sinkhole Conference is the longest-running international conference of its type. Since 1984, engineers, geologists, hydrologists, land managers, biologists, and many others have gathered at these meetings to exchange cutting-edge information on karst and its many benefits and challenges. The Sinkhole Conference is managed by the National Cave and Karst Research Institute and this next conference is jointly organized with the Karst Waters Institute. Additionally, the conference will include the 3rd Appalachian Karst Symposium to make for a truly special event.
The 15th Sinkhole Conference will occur on 2-6 April 2018. You are welcome to stay in the lodging at NCTC but there are other options nearby too. Details about the conference are available at http://www.sinkholeconference.com/.
Karst Session at 45th International Association of Hydrogeologists Congress
The next congress of the International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH) will be held in Daejeon, South Korea, on 9-14 September 2018 with the theme Groundwater and Life: Science and Technology into Action. Topic 7 will focus on karst:
Advances in Karst and Fractured-rock Hydrogeology
Conveners: Nico Goldscheider, Young-Jin Park, Judit Mádl-Szőnyi, Sung-Hoon Ji
Sub-topics: Recent developments in karst hydrogeology; Characterizing fractured rock aquifers; Modeling of flow and transport in karst/fractured-rock aquifers; The critical zone in karst system (Karst Institute of Geology CAGS, UNESCO-IGCP Special Session); Regional flow systems of deep carbonates - Geological agency, discharge features and practical consequences. Nico Goldscheider will present a keynote lecture on karst hydrogeology. The deadline for the submission of abstracts is 31 March. Details: http://iah2018.org/
List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
- CavesLIVE: A Distance Learning Adventure, 14 March 2018 (on-line experience), https://CavesLIVE.org
- The Sinkhole Conference, joint with the 3rd Appalachian Karst Symposium, 2-6 April 2018 (Shepherdstown, West Virginia, USA), http://www.sinkholeconference.com/
- Eleventh International Conference on Remediation of Chlorinated and Recalcitrant Compounds: Karst Case Studies Session, 8-12 April 2018 (Palm Springs, California, USA), https://www.battelle.org/newsroom/conferences/chlorinated-conference
- Speleogenesis, Geomorphology and Hazards in Karst, European Geosciences Union, 8–13 April 2018 (Vienna, Austria), http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/session/27715
- Edwards Aquifer Authority Distinguished Lecturer: Dr. Pierre-Yves Jeannin, 13 April 2018 (San Antonio, Texas), http://pierre-yvesjeannin2018.eventzilla.net
- California Cave Life Symposium, 28 April 2018 (California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, California, USA), http://cavelife.info/ or
- Characterization and Engineering of Karst Aquifers Workshop, 27 May – 5 June (Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina), http://www.karst.edu.rs/
- Karst 2018: Expect the Unexpected, 6-9 June (Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina), http://www.karst.edu.rs/
- Karst Field Studies Program, six different 5-6 day courses from 3 June to 10 August 2018 (Grand Canyon National Park and Mammoth Cave National Park, USA), www.karstfieldstudies.com
- 8th International Workshop on Ice caves (IWIC-VIII), 11-16 June 2018 (Picos de Europa National Park, Spain), https://eventos.uva.es/go/iwic8.
- 26th International Karstological School "Classical Karst", theme Show Caves and Science, 18-22 June 2018 (Postojna, Slovenia), website to be posted soon.
- EuroKarst 2018, 2-6 July 2018 (Besançon, France), http://www.eurokarst.org/
- Balkan Cavers Camp, 2-8 July 2018 (Romania), http://www.frspeo.ro/event/balkan-camp-congresul-national-de-speologie-speoarta-2018/
- 18th International Vulcanospeleology Symposium, 21-27 July 2018 (Lava Beds National Monument, California, USA), http://18ivslavabeds.com/
- International Training Camp for Young Speleologists, 29 July to 13 August 2018 (Swabian Alb, Germany), http://www.juhoefola.de/english.html
- BERGER 2018 "Clean deep", 29 July – 20 August 2018 (Vercors, France), http://cds39.fr/BFC/B18/
- 2018 US National Speleological Society Convention, 30 July - 3 August 2018 (Helena, Montana, USA), http://nss2018.caves.org/
- EuroSpeleo Forum 2018, 23-26 August 2018 (Ebensee, Austria), http://eurospeleo.at/expo.html
- 24th International Conference on Subterranean Biology, 20-24 August 2018 (University of Aveiro, Portugal), http://24icsb.web.ua.pt/.
- International Association of Hydrogeologists Congress, with Topic 7: Advances in Karst and Fractured-rock Hydrogeology, 9-14 September 2018 (Daejeon, South Korea), http://iah2018.org/
- 24th International Cave Bear Symposium, 27-30 September 2018 (Chepelare, Bulgaria), http://icbs2018.at
- International Workshop for Women Speleologists in Latin America, 2-6 October 2018, (Viñales, Pinar del Río, Cuba),
- 8th Congress of the International Show Caves Association, 12-18 October 2018 (Genga, Italy), http://www.i-s-c-a.com/event/68-8th-isca-congress
- 16th International Symposium of Speleotherapy, 24-28 October 2018 (Zlate Hory, Czech Republic), http://www.speleotherapycommission.webgarden.com/menu/news/the-xvi-th-international
- International Cave Rescue Training, 10-18 November 2018 (Lozere, France),
- Hypogea 2019: The International Congress of Speleology in Artificial Cavities, 20-25 May 2019 (Dobrich, Bulgaria), http://www.hypogea2019.org/
- National Speleological Congress of Switzerland, 9-12 August 2019 (Interlaken, Switzerland), https://sinterlaken.ch/en/
- ArmConference 2019: Caves as Natural and Cultural Monuments, 11-13 September 2019 (Yerevan, Armenia), http://armconference2019.com/
- 18th International Congress of Speleology, 23-29 July 2021 (Lyon, France), http://uis2021.speleos.fr/
George Veni, PhD
President, International Union of Speleology
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215 USA