Here is the latest cave and karst information from NCKRI and our friends. Please notice that the first two items have deadlines that are approaching soon:
- Sinkhole Conference: Register Now—Deadline Very Soon!
- University of Bergen Postdoctoral Fellow in U-series Dating and Archaeometry: Norway
- International Workshop on Ice Caves VIII, Spain: Registration Open!
- BERGER 2018 "Clean deep": France
- Approaches to Mitigation of Karst Sinkholes: A New ASCE Live Webinar
- List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
Please contact the people and organizations listed below for more information, and feel free to share this message with anyone who may be interested.
Sinkhole Conference: Register Now—Deadline Very Soon!
The Multidisciplinary Conference on Sinkholes and the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst , generally known as “The Sinkhole Conference,” is the longest-running international conference of its type. Since 1984, engineers, geologists, hydrologists, land managers, biologists, and many others have gathered at these meetings to exchange cutting-edge information on karst and its many benefits and challenges. The Sinkhole Conference is managed by the National Cave and Karst Research Institute and this next conference is jointly organized with the Karst Waters Institute. Additionally, the conference will include the 3 rd Appalachian Karst Symposium to make for a truly special event.
The 15 th Sinkhole Conference will occur on 2-6 April 2018 at the National Conservation Training Center in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, USA, about a 1.5-hour drive from Washington, DC. The conference circular, which is a convenient summary of the conference, is available from http://www.sinkholeconference.com/ , where all other conference details can also be found.
This message reminds you to that we ask everyone to register by 23 February 2018 . Later and on-site registrants may not be allowed on the grounds. Please register as soon as possible and reserve your lodging.
University of Bergen Postdoctoral Fellow in U-series Dating and Archaeometry: Norway
There is a vacancy for a four-year postdoctoral fellow position at the SapienCE Centre of Excellence and at the Department of Earth Science, within the area of Uranium- series geochronology as applied to archaeological sites and cave deposits. The successful applicant will have responsibility for performing U- series dating on archaeological sites and adjacent caves in South Africa. The position will involve:
- Field sampling in relevant caves and archaeological deposits
- Managing the U-series preparation laboratory and the ICP-MS applications
- Generating U-series dates
- Supervising students
- Improving the technique and its applications to archaeological and environmental problems.
About the position of postdoctoral fellow:
The position of postdoctoral fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is four years, of which 25% of the time each year comprises required duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral fellow at the same institution. Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work. The project proposal must be prepared in cooperation
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Professor Stein-Erik Lauritzen, Department of Earth Science, phone:
+47 55 58 3508, e-mail: and at https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/277248 .
International Workshop on Ice Caves VIII, Spain: Registration Open!
The International Workshop on Ice Caves (IWIC) is an excellent opportunity for the exchange of ideas and advances in research on ice caves. The objective is to establish contacts and links between researchers during the IWIC, examining the state of the art, the applied techniques to investigate ice caves and relevant case studies, with special emphasis on promoting international cooperation. It is the ideal setting for the exchange of experiences and the presentation of results about the regional or thematic knowledge.
During this workshop the scientific sessions will alternate with visits to ice caves in Picos de Europa and karst environments in the coastal and the Cantabrian Mountains, northern Spain. The workshop is sponsored by the Glacier, Firn and Ice Caves Commission of the International Union of Speleology (UIS).
Abstracts for IWIC-8 can be submitted until March 1st. 2018. We encourage you to prepare and send us abstracts about your most recent works on ice caves and glaciers caves.
Remember: registration and abstract submission must be done through the website. If you have problems, please contact us.
To register and for more information visit https://eventos.uva.es/go/iwic8 or https://www5.uva.es/gir_pangea/ .
BERGER 2018 "Clean deep": France
International gathering for clean-up of Gouffre Berger (Vercors, France)
July 29th - August 20th, 2018
About 500 kg of waste were extracted from Gouffre Berger in 2017.
The work has to concentrate from now on the deep parts of the cave, between -800 and the camp -1000 m.
The gathering 2017 knew a strong foreign participation; the objective 2018 is 150 European cavers.
More than 300 cavers are expected during three weeks.
Please, get in touch with Rémy Limagne [ ] before March 2018!
Approaches to Mitigation of Karst Sinkholes
A New ASCE Live Webinar
Date: Friday, March 30, 2018
Time: 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. ET
Individual and Group/Site Registration Options Now Available
* Consider new solutions for age old problems associated with karst
* Learn effective approaches to select appropriate means for mitigating karst sinkholes
* Avoid costly errors that ensue from use of inappropriate repair methods
* Reduce or eliminate sinkhole recurrence through appropriate sinkhole mitigation strategies
* Examine the latest technology to effectively repair sinkholes
* Each attendee earns 1.5 Professional Development Hours (1.5 PDHs)
This webinar presents a number of different approaches to mitigation, including, use of fill, grout, concrete, aggregate, and geosynthetics.
It also presents factors for selecting appropriate measures relative to permanence, structural requirements, environmental impacts, and cost. This webinar discusses measures to optimize the benefit and minimize the potential for a performance failure and cost overruns.
Instructor : Michael J. Byle, P.E., D.GE., F.ASCE
INDIVIDUAL (one engineer): $99 M / $159 NM
GROUP/SITE (unlimited engineers): $249 M / $349 NM
List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
- CavesLIVE: A Distance Learning Adventure , 14 March 2018 (on-line experience), https://CavesLIVE.org
- The Sinkhole Conference, joint with the 3 rd Appalachian Karst Symposium , 2-6 April 2018 (Shepherdstown, West Virginia, USA), http://www.sinkholeconference.com/
- Eleventh International Conference on Remediation of Chlorinated and Recalcitrant Compounds: Karst Case Studies Session , 8-12 April 2018 (Palm Springs, California, USA), https://www.battelle.org/newsroom/conferences/chlorinated-conference
- Speleogenesis, Geomorphology and Hazards in Karst, European Geosciences Union , 8–13 April 2018 (Vienna, Austria), http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/session/27715
- Edwards Aquifer Authority Distinguished Lecturer: Dr. Pierre-Yves Jeannin , 13 April 2018 (San Antonio, Texas), http://pierre-yvesjeannin2018.eventzilla.net
- California Cave Life Symposium , 28 April 2018 (California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, California, USA), http://cavelife.info/ or
- Characterization and Engineering of Karst Aquifers Workshop , 27 May – 5 June (Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina), http://www.karst.edu.rs/
- Karst 2018: Expect the Unexpected , 6-9 June (Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina), http://www.karst.edu.rs/
- Karst Field Studies Program, six different 5-6 day courses from 3 June to 10 August 2018 (Grand Canyon National Park and Mammoth Cave National Park, USA), www.karstfieldstudies.com
- 8th International Workshop on Ice caves (IWIC-VIII) , 11-16 June 2018 (Picos de Europa National Park, Spain), https://eventos.uva.es/go/iwic8 .
- 26th International Karstological School "Classical Karst", theme Show Caves and Science , 18-22 June 2018 (Postojna, Slovenia), website to be posted soon.
- EuroKarst 2018 , 2-6 July 2018 (Besançon, France), http://www.eurokarst.org/
- 18th International Vulcanospeleology Symposium , 21-27 July 2018 (Lava Beds National Monument, California, USA), http://18ivslavabeds.com/
- International Training Camp for Young Speleologists, 29 July to 13 August 2018 (Swabian Alb, Germany), http://www.juhoefola.de/english.html
- BERGER 2018 "Clean deep" , 29 July – 20 August 2018 (Vercors, France), http://cds39.fr/BFC/B18/
- 2018 US National Speleological Society Convention, 30 July - 3 August 2018 (Helena, Montana, USA), http://nss2018.caves.org/
- EuroSpeleo Forum 2018 , 23-26 August 2018 (Ebensee, Austria), http://eurospeleo.at/expo.html .
- 24th International Conference on Subterranean Biology , 20-24 August 2018 (University of Aveiro, Portugal), http://24icsb.web.ua.pt/ .
- 24th International Cave Bear Symposium , 27-30 September 2018 (Chepelare, Bulgaria), http://icbs2018.at .
- 8th Congress of the International Show Caves Association , 12-18 October 2018 (Genga, Italy), http://www.i-s-c-a.com/event/68-8th-isca-congress
- 16th International Symposium of Speleotherapy , 24-28 October 2018 (Zlate Hory, Czech Republic), http://www.speleotherapycommission.webgarden.com/menu/news/the-xvi-th-international
- Hypogea 2019: The I nternational Congress of Speleology in Artificial Cavities , 20-25 May 2019 (Dobrich, Bulgaria), http://www.hypogea2019.org/
- National Speleological Congress of Switzerland , 9-12 August 2019 (Interlaken, Switzerland), https://sinterlaken.ch/en/
- 18th International Congress of Speleology , 23-29 July 2021 (Lyon, France), http://uis2021.speleos.fr/
George Veni, PhD
President, International Union of Speleology
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215 USA