Here are more announcements from NCKRI and our friends:
- Sinkhole Conference final abstract deadline is this Thursday!
- Hypogea 2019: the next congress on Artificial Cavities
- 16th International Symposium of Speleotherapy
- List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
The details are below and you are welcome to share this message with anyone who may be interested. Please contact the people and organizations listed below for more details.
Sinkhole Conference final abstract deadline is this Thursday!
The extended abstract deadline for the Multidisciplinary Conference on Sinkholes and the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst, “The Sinkhole Conference,” is this Thursday, 31 August 2017. It will not be extended further and we hope to see yours in the fabulous group of abstracts we have already received.
The Sinkhole Conference is the longest-running international conference of its type. Since 1984, engineers, geologists, hydrologists, land managers, biologists, and many others have gathered at these meetings to exchange cutting-edge information on karst and its many benefits and challenges. In consideration of summertime vacations, the abstracts deadline was extended to the end of this month, 31 August 2017. Subsequent deadlines remain unchanged. Submission of full papers (for approved abstracts) will open on 1 September and close on 1 October 2017. The papers of past Sinkhole Conferences have made those proceedings highly sought and widely cited. We expect the proceedings of the upcoming meeting will be the best yet.
The Sinkhole Conference is managed by the National Cave and Karst Research Institute and this next conference is jointly organized with the Karst Waters Institute. Additionally, the conference will include the 3rd Appalachian Karst Symposium to make for a truly special event.
The 15th Sinkhole Conference will occur on 2-6 April 2018 at the National Conservation Training Center in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, USA, about a 1.5-hour drive from Washington, DC. The conference circular, which is a convenient summary of the conference, is available from http://www.sinkholeconference.com/, where all other conference details can also be found. To submit your abstracts and for instructions on preparing them, see http://www.sinkholeconference.com/abstract-and-paper-submissions-notification-content.
On behalf of the 15th Sinkhole Conference Organizing Committee, we look forward to receiving your abstracts and seeing you in Shepherdstown next year!
Hypogea 2019: the next congress on Artificial Cavities
Following highly successful conferences in Italy in 2015 and Turkey in 2017, the next International Congress of Speleology in Artificial Cavities will occur in Dobrich, Bulgaria, on 20-25 May 2019.
Hypogea was created from a shared desire to bring together the professionals and explorers interested in the scientific documentation of artificial cavities.
The website has just been posted: http://www.hypogea2019.org/. Bookmark it for current information and future updates. This congress is a function of the Artificial Cavities Commission of the International Union of Speleology.
16th International Symposium of Speleotherapy
In the first 50-60 years of the 20th century, several publications and scientific studies in different countries mentioned the improvement health on various diseases (especially respiratory) after time spent in karst caves and salt mines. In 1968, the East-Slovakian Museum at Kosice organized the "International Symposium about Speleo-climate, Speleo-therapeutics and Speleochemistry," which led to the creation of the Speleotherapy Commission of the International Union of Speleology in 1969. Since 1969, 15 international symposia of speleotherapy were organized every 2-5 years. The next one will occur on 24-28 October 2018 in Zlate Hory, Czech Republic. Please bookmark http://www.speleotherapycommission.webgarden.com/menu/news/the-xvi-th-international for current information and future updates.
List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
- 11th Balkan Caving Camp, 28 August – 3 September 2017 (Leonidio, Greece), https://archive.org/details/11thBalkanCaversCamp2017 or https://www.facebook.com/11th-Balkan-Caving-Camp-2017-in-Leonidio-301383733616075/
- 11th EuroSpeleo Forum, 15-17 September 2017 (Ferrières, Belgium), https://www.speleovvs.be/index.php/en/caving-days
- 44th International Association of Hydrogeologists Congress, 25-29 September 2017 (Dubrovnik, Croatia), http://iah2017.org/
- National Cave and Karst Management Symposium, 16-20 October 2017 (Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA), http://www.nckms2017.com/
- British Cave Research Association 28th Cave Science Symposium, 20-21 October 2017 (Leeds, UK), website to be announced.
- Geological Society of America Convention, 22-25 October (Seattle, -Washington, USA), http://www.geosociety.org/GSA/Events/Annual_Meeting/GSA/Events/gsa2017.aspx
- International Conference on Geomorphology, 6-11 November 2017 (New Delhi, India), karst session, http://www.icg2017.com/session.php
- Workshop: Grotte de Han, New Dramatic Effect of Lighting, 16-18 November 2017 (Han-sur-Lesse, Belgium), .
- To Know and Share Caves and Karsts: Understanding, Conservation, and Geotourism, 6-9 March 2018 (Ardèche, France), https://dhuguet.wixsite.com/cavesymposium2018
- The Sinkhole Conference, joint with the 3rd Appalachian Karst Symposium, 2-6 April 2018 (Shepherdstown, West Virginia, USA), http://www.sinkholeconference.com/
- EuroKarst 2018, 2-6 July 2018, (Besançon, France), http://www.eurokarst.org/
- 18th International Vulcanospeleology Symposium, 21-27 July 2018 (Lava Beds National Monument, California, USA), http://www.vulcanospeleology.org/sym18/ISV18.html
- 2018 US National Speleological Society Convention, 30 July - 3 August 2018 (Helena, Montana, USA), http://nss2018.caves.org/
- EuroSpeleo Forum 2018, 23-26 August 2018 (Ebensee, Austria), http://eurospeleo.at/expo.html.
- 24th International Conference on Subterranean Biology, 20-24 August 2018 (University of Aveiro, Portugal), http://24icsb.web.ua.pt/.
- 16th International Symposium of Speleotherapy, 24-28 October 2018 (Zlate Hory, Czech Republic), http://www.speleotherapycommission.webgarden.com/menu/news/the-xvi-th-international
- Hypogea 2019: The International Congress of Speleology in Artificial Cavities, 20-25 May 2019, (Dobrich, Bulgaria), http://www.hypogea2019.org/
George Veni, PhD
President, International Union of Speleology
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215 USA