The recent and ongoing bushfires have severely damaged many cave areas across Australia. Your donation to the Australian Speleological Federation will help restore cave ecosystems. Donate here: http://www.gofundme.com/f/cave-landscape-bushfire-rehabilitation-appeal
Known impacted cave regions:
WA: Yanchep, North of Perth; Kempsey -Willi Willi Maternity Bat Cave, rainforest areas and more; NSW: Bungonia; Wombeyan; Yarrangobilly; Jenolan area VIC: Buchan area, Buchan Caves Reserve, East Buchan, Caves Potholes Reserve, the Basin, New Guinea Ridge; Budj Bim (Mt Eccles National Park) World Heritage Area (cultural site); SA: Kangaroo Island, Kelly Hill Caves Reserve and many cave components of Flinders Chase.
These are only some of the areas known to be impacted – we anticipate many more caves have been or will be affected.
LET'S JOIN TOGETHER TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Funds raised will go directly toward:
- Projects aimed at cleaning and restoring caves and karst areas
- Immediate on ground works to cave affected areas
- Cave entrance stabilisation, fencing and stairway replacements (that are not covered by insurance)
- Rehabilitating vegetation in cave landscapes
- Rehabilitating of critical habitats for bat and cave cricket populations
- Research projects to assess long term bushfire impact on fauna and cave environments
- Bat population surveys post-fire
- Replacement of entrance identification cave tags where needed.
The Australian Speleological Federation (ASF) is an Environmental Organisation, with the primary objective is to protect the cave and karst environments of Australia.
As the national body in Australia ASF represents 22 caving clubs with over 800 members and represents Australia on the International Union of Speleology. The ASF is registered as an Environmental Organisation by the Department of Environment and Energy, Canberra to receive tax deductible donations to use in pursuit of its environmental objectives to protect caves and karst environments in Australia via its Karst Conservation Fund.
All donations over $2 are tax deductible!
Our website: http://www.caves.org.au/conservation/karst-conservation-fund
Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/asfcavers/
Thank you so much for your support!!